Travis AFB, Fairfield, CA, United States
SUPERVISES: There are direct reports with this position.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under minimal supervision, the Grounds Maintenance Manager plans, directs and coordinates grounds maintenance services in support of a federal contract. Employees in this job class manage staff activities related to planning, designing, installing, and maintaining landscaped areas, roads, and parking lots of assigned facilities. This job class requires comprehensive knowledge of landscaping methods, standards and equipment; and the ability to direct the work of staff at multiple locations to maintain a pristine appearance of all grounds and provide a safe environment for employees, residents and/or visitors.
1. *Coordinates, directs, and manages staff in performing landscape maintenance activities and improvement projects at customer locations. Works with customers and management to estimate costs and develop project budgets and schedules of work to be performed.
2. *Identifies personnel requirements to support contract requirements. Establishes priorities, schedules tasks, and ensures adherence to procedures, regulations and
guidelines while minimizing errors and safety risks.
3. *Supervises employees; ensures a competent, motivated team through hiring, training, development, counseling and reviewing the performance of employees.
4. *Manages the grounds maintenance contract and ensures compliance with its terms, conditions and obligations. Develops a professional working relationship with key contract personnel, and establishes official lines of communication.
5. *Oversees the purchase and support of all grounds maintenance vehicles, equipment and supplies. Identifies vendors, coordinates purchasing contracts with Company buyers, and arranges for delivery, licensing and ongoing maintenance. Recommends budgets for capital expenditures and labor.
6. *Develops and implements a Pest Management program that includes Herbicides, Fungicides and Pesticides to control turf and plant pests base wide. Program must include Integrated Pest Management practices and must be coordinated with federal appointed representatives.
7. *Ensures compliance with all appropriate environmental laws and legislation.
8. *Serves as primary informational resource regarding grounds maintenance, operations and related services. Trouble shoots problems and obtains technical advice from internal and external sources as necessary.
9. *Logs-in daily employee data/attendance hours, work order reports and labor distribution into the company’s and federal’s computer systems.
10. *Conducts quality assurance inspections. Directs and evaluates subcontractors’ work in order to meet schedules and standards.
11. *Conducts and participates in a variety of departmental and other meetings on a regular basis.
12. Supports safety and disaster programs.
13. Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
* Denotes Essential Job Function
• High School Diploma or G.E.D.;
• Five or more years of experience in landscaping, grounds maintenance, and irrigation, including at least three years in a supervisory role; Experience working with adults with developmental disabilities and/or physical challenges, preferred;
• Technical courses in horticulture and agriculture preferred;
• Knowledge of landscape maintenance, design and cost estimating; full understanding of landscaping material, chemicals, and facilities as-build/maps;
• Knowledge of safe operation of construction and landscaping industrial equipment, such
as front loaders, backhoes, fork lifts, trenchers, and mowers;
• Familiarity with contract terms, conditions and Statement of Work(SOW), and ability to apply to work managed;
• Knowledge of planning, purchasing, and project management;
• Knowledge of Cal OSHA and OSHA occupational safety regulations;
• Some positions may require training in disaster management and emergency response;
• Supervisory skills to hire qualified employees, provide for their professional development, administer performance management and disciplinary processes effectively, and address
employee relations appropriately;
• Ability to effectively supervise and develop assigned team to meet production/service goals while adhering to safety policies and rules;
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to make presentations and respond to inquiries by senior management, customers and/or employees;
• Demonstrated leadership, organizational, reasoning, problem solving and analytical skills;
• Exceptional customer service skills;
• Human relation skills to build effective relationships with team, customers and public;
• Advanced computer literacy including knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software;
• Knowledge of business English including vocabulary, spelling, and correct grammatical usage and punctuation;
• Mathematical skills to include the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations;
• Ability to establish priorities and solve a wide range of business, operational and strategic management problems;
• Flexibility to respond to changing work priorities and handle numerous projects at the same time.
CERTIFICATES REQUIRED: Valid driver’s license.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Employees must have the ability to perform the following physical demands for extended periods of time with or without assistance:
• Standing and walking
• Bending, kneeling, squatting, stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling and shoveling
• Lifting of equipment up to 50 pounds with or without assistance
• Viewing computer screen/monitor
• Utilizing keyboard
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Majority of the work is performed on job sites, in an environment using grounds maintenance tools, mechanical and electrical equipment. Employees may be exposed to uneven surfaces, toxic substances, electrical shock, noise from equipment and depending on external weather conditions, wind, rain, cold and heat. Frequent travel between job sites is required. Employees may be required to work in excess of 8 hours in a day and/or 40 hours per week.