The PositionThere is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.
Under direction, plans, organizes and directs the operation of a group of divisions and smaller organizational units within the Department of General Services.
Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Principles of public administration, organization, and management
- Policies and procedures
- Personnel management practices, including supervision, selection, training and discipline
- Methods and procedures involved in conducting analytical studies of administrative and management practices, methods and procedures
- Methods and procedures of fiscal management, including inter-service funds and enterprise funds, work authorizations and debt service
- Principles of management and enforcement of conditions of a variety of contracts
- Organization and functional structure of the County
- Process and procedures of County budget preparation, review and control
- Coordinate, plan, organize and direct the work of others in a diverse organization of multiple divisions having unique areas of responsibility and financed through differing budgetary funding methodologies
- Analyze, prepare and/or supervise the preparation of budgets and budget requests
- Analyze legislation
- Interpret and/or develop regulations, rules, specifications, policies and laws
- Supervise and evaluate the work of others
- Establish and maintain working relationships with other managers and staff, including other agencies, and departments at the local, State and Federal level, as well as the general public
- Address groups of people
- Prepare comprehensive reports and correspondence
- Communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing
Any combination of experience and education or training that is likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities. Typical ways to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Either: 1. Two years as a division chief in the Department of General Services;
Or: 2. Four years of administrative or management experience including responsibility for planning, organizing and directing varied types of programs. At least two years of the required experience must have involved budgeting and rate setting activities associated with a Proprietary Fund, such as an inter-services fund or an enterprise fund.
Note: If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12) months.