In this role you wil help manage, administer and control the smooth, friendly and efficient operation of the banquet department. Provide guest service to the overall operation of the Banquet Department as related to function requirements, server checklists, banquet service staff. Ensure the timely and creative presentation of all aspects of the banquet event and anything else necessary while maintaining the high standards of The Murieta Inn & Spa.
- Essential Functions:
- Know your work schedule and follow it with reliability.
- Ensure we are maintaining a high level of service with all guests.
- Participate in weekly/monthly department meetings and resort training.
- Advise, and keep in close contact with, the Banquet Manager at all times on a daily basis. The Captain will check with the Banquet Manager for any changes or special needs that pertain to the events/functions.
- Promptly report substandard (unsafe) conditions to Manager.
- The Captain will assign duties, stations and partners if needed
- Responsible for the organization and cleanliness of both the front of the house and the back of the house.
- Assume the responsibility of all functions beginning on time.
- Ensure that the all trays, buffets, plates, food, bars, and any other appearances standards are met and exceeded.
- Pick up the event guest check in the banquet office for signature from the contact at the completion of the event and check for accuracy. The signed guest check is then to be returned to the banquet office.
- Responsible for inputting information into computer and ‘ringing’ all guest checks accurately.
- Ensure that the room is set correctly and that all staff scheduled for the event are present, and communicate any staff shortages to the Manager.
- Maintain open communication with the kitchen stewarding & beverage staff as far as special requests, times, food, cover counts and equipment are concerned.
- The Captain is to introduce themselves to the event contact so that the contact has a hotel event representative she will be comfortable with going to, in case of changes or special request.
- All equipment to be taken to the proper location directly after completion of event.
- Ensure that all food is taken back to the kitchen immediately following the event.
- Handle and correct all areas of opportunities that may arise to ensure that all guests expectations are met and exceeded.
- Ensure that all servers are utilizing ‘down time’ wisely per specific duties.
- Ensure that Banquet Event Order requirements are fulfilled within the room as pertains to creative table presentation, food items, door signs, cleanliness, order and quality of service and food product, service standards of staff and cleanliness of the area before and after the event.
- The Captain will be responsible for the training of all service associates and assisted by Banquet Management.
- All functions that do not require a captain will be assigned a point server. This will be indicated on the BEO as the first name listed among all the servers listed. The Captain will be responsible for supervising all point servers on their shift.
- The Captain will ensure that all paperwork needed by other departments is turned in on a timely basis ie; function report, signed banquet checks, consumption reports, equipment requisitions, food requisitions.
- The Captain will be responsible for completing opening and closing duties as assigned by Banquet Management.Implement management company and hotel’s safety and emergency policies and procedures (i.e. evacuation, first aid, etc.) To include removing all safety hazards, following company’s HSHA, and OSHA programs and safe lifting techniques.
- Any other duties, responsibilities, or tasks deemed necessary by Management.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a graduation from high school or any other combination of education, training or experience that provides the require knowledge, skill and ability. High school diploma preferred.
- Prior hospitality and cash handling experience preferred.
- Ability to obtain any government required licenses or certification
- To take and pass all training provided and required by the banquet department to complete daily operational job duties.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to operate a cash register, make change, total guest checks, count total bank, prepare cash drops, total all other charges and understand portion sizes as relating to pricing.
- Ability to effectively deal with and resolve conflict situations, such as inaccurate banquet meal counts, shortage of food, shortage of equipment.
- Knowledge of a ten key calculator to include simple calculations of adding, subtracting, multiplication and division.
- Ability to organize tasks and other associates in activities pertaining to efficient production of work. working environment/physical activities:
- Physical activities include walking, talking, standing, bending, stooping, reaching, stretching, seeing, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying.
- The ability to lift and carry objects such as tray weighing up to 40 lbs.
- The ability to push objects weighing up to 200 lbs.
- Inside with the protection from weather but not necessarily changes in temperature.
- The ability to remain calm under stress. Fast paced work area with considerable noise and frequent interruptions. Work area may be confining.
- The ability to work outside in reasonable weather conditions.
Ability to stand for long periods of time and walk for considerable distances