A year-long work experience. As a House of Blues Military Veteran Apprentice - Operations, you’ll learn about a career in operations by working closely with the House of Blues Executive Vice President and Home Office Operations team, including Food & Beverage (Front of House & Back of House), Restaurant Operations, Music Hall Operations, Foundation Room, & occasionally with Marketing, Special Events & Retail teams.
Apprentice projects can include: presentation creation, research projects, creating weekly and monthly reports, maintaining general follow-up on venue progress and more.
The Veteran Operations Apprentice will assist the Home Office Operations team with their daily operational needs, while gaining knowledge of House of Blues (in-venue) operations, training in each department through a rotation at the House of Blues Anaheim location.
This training will help you learn how each individual venue runs, while following the policies and procedures provided by the Home Office and how each department works independently and together to create the House of Blues experience.
Food and Beverage:
- Assisting in new menu rollouts, setting deadlines and following up on venue progress
- Perform cost analysis on all new menu products
- Assist in setting up training for field employees and following up on policy adherence
- Assisting with monthly F&B reports to management and internal teams
- Creating daily prep sheets for all BOH Employees and validating proper completion
- Education on employee break management to ensure proper state law adherence (CA Venues)
- Assisting in entry of department schedules into labor management program
- Validating correct recipe procedures and ensuring the quality of all product
- Assisting in mid-month and month-end inventories and troubleshooting of cost variances
- Learning about daily venue operations including; guest interaction, employee management, and how we ensure adherence to policies and procedures
- Attending pre-shift meetings with employees, as communication happens for roll-outs, contests, and any new information
- Insight into employee training, coaching progress check-ins
- Education on recipe validation and proper recipe procedures, and how we monitor for waste or theft
- Education on Crunch Time and invoice reconciliation, schedule entry into the labor management system and mid and month-end inventories
Accounting/Purchasing & Receiving:
- Review and Validate proper revenue center transfers
- Assist in setting proper pars for accurate ordering to control waste and extra product on hand
- Education on food and beverage order placement
- Participate in receiving food and beverage orders, following up on and order issues or variances
- Assist in employee timecard review to ensure proper job code entry and overtime validation
- Work with Logistics Manager to ensure proper execution of events
- Assist in planning with outside vendors booked by sales team
- Training by operations team on event scheduling and staffing
- Manage completion of closing SEO reports
Department Administrative Responsibilities:
- Handle all projects as directed by Managers
- Assist in coordination of team schedules, daily calendar of meetings, events, etc.
- Manage meeting and event logistics including booking and preparing rooms, creating materials, organizing catering and taking notes
- Assist in coordination of ticket requests, travel, lodging, etc.
- Assist with expense report processing and management
- May assist with other functions such as data entry and other clerical duties as requested
- Ensures that expenses are processed correctly and in a timely manner
- Culinary and/or food & beverage experience preferred
- Prior service in any branch of the U.S. military
- Calm / Professional and customer service oriented
- Desire to learn about a career in operations
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Sound judgment and ability to problem solve; sometimes with limited information
- Live entertainment venue or restaurant operations experience is a plus
- Computer literate in Windows applications. (Excel and Word a must)
- Must possess superior interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Ability to commit to a year-long apprentice program
- Ability and willingness to relocate for business needs and opportunity.
- College Degree