Georgia-Pacific is seeking an Environmental Health and Safety Manager to provide leadership and presence at our La Mirada, CA facility. Reporting to the Director of Operations, the EH&S Manager provides leadership and strategic direction by building a partnership with front-line leadership and collaborating with business partners to develop and mentor the production team relating to EH&S.
In this role, EH&S Managers ensure systems to effectively address facility EH&S risk profiles. The role balances Safety and Environmental with a 70% focus on safety and a 30% focus on environmental aspects and accountability. The EH&S Manager has one direct report and provides consistent and hands-on leadership, mentoring, and collaboration with a team of 106 non-union employees. Georgia-Pacific is one of the nation’s leading corrugated box manufacturers. To learn more about GP’s Corrugated Division, visit http://www.gppackaging.com/Corrugated.
LaMirada is located in the heart of southern California and hosts a wide array of activities, culture, and attractions. Highlights include Disneyland and Downtown Disney just 10 minutes away, Anaheim’s Angel Stadium, driving distance to the Big Bear Mountains for activities such as hiking, camping & skiing, and an approximate 30-minute drive to coastal cities and beaches. If you are looking for a career opportunity where you can create value in a team-based setting while enjoying the lifestyle, variety, and climate of Southern California, this may be the opportunity for you!
A Day In The Life Typically Includes:
- Providing leadership and direction to achieve the EH&S vision through management commitment and employee ownership
- Developing and aligning facility EH&S strategy according to the business/enterprise EH&S plan
- Facilitating EH&S ownership by the line organization
- Ensuring the EH&S vision is developed and integrated in facilities
- Fostering an environment where employees understand and exercise their decision rights regarding EH&S
- Ensuring incentive metrics are aligned with performance
- Facilitating EH&S ownership by the line organization through integration of the EH&S Management System
- Ensuring EH&S system elements are integrated into the line organization’s responsibilities and expectations
- Leading the development of risk assessment methods/systems for anticipating, identifying, and evaluating hazards
- Increasing critical hazard awareness thereby reducing the likelihood of at risk behaviors
- Ensuring an effective change management process is in place
- Partnering with facility leadership to develop short and long-term EH&S objectives, targets, strategies, and measures that prioritize and mitigate risks
- Ensuring the development, improvement, and implementation of training systems to meet facility needs utilizing qualified instructors
- Conducting routine management reviews and adjusting plans as necessary
- Utilizing development plans to grow the teams’ EH&S skills and knowledge
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Safety, Environmental, related field, and/or five (5) or more years’ equivalent EH&S experience
- Three (3) or more years’ of EH&S experience in a manufacturing or industrial setting
- Experience in Microsoft Office Software (Excel- updating and creating spreadsheets, WORD – document creation/editing)
- Knowledge of California Environmental Regulations including South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD), Department of Toxic Substance Control (DTSC) and California Regional Water Quality Control Board (CRWQCB)
- Willing and able to travel to support corporate initiatives
What Will Put You Ahead?
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or demonstrated progress to attain CSP
- Previous leadership experience
- Professional Engineer (PE) experience
- Five (5) or more years’ EH&S experience with a manufacturing site in California