SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Responsible for inspection, testing and maintenance of locomotives and rolling stock equipment in accordance with FRA and Amtrak standards and guidelines.
• Performs inspection, testing and maintenance in accordance with 49CFR regulations and Amtrak standards and guidelines.
• Responsible for mechanical repairs to drive systems, wheels/wheel sets (trucks), suspension and other components of the propulsion system
• Troubleshoots equipment to determine corrective actions and causes of equipment failures.
• Calibrates pressure switches and valves in compliance with 49CFR and Amtrak established standards.
• Maintains proper care and use of materials, test equipment, machines and hand tools normally associated with assigned job.
• Experience in troubleshooting, repair, replacement or rebuilding mechanical equipment and systems
• Welding and cutting experience
• Experience in the maintenance of railroad equipment preferred
• Knowledge of mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems
• Ability to read mechanical drawings
• Knowledge and skill in the use of electrical tools, equipment and the measurements necessary to meet established standards
• Some computer skills
• Ability to read, write and communicate proficiently.
• Completion of technical school or apprenticeship program.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.