SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This position is responsible for inspection, testing and maintenance of electrical, electronic and HVAC systems on rolling stock equipment and components in accordance with FRA and Amtrak standards and guidelines.
• Works on electrical systems and components with AC and DC voltage.
• Performs inspection, testing and maintenance in accordance with 49CFR regulations and Amtrak standards and guidelines.
• Utilizes a variety of test equipment, PC and graphic information to diagnose malfunctions, troubleshoot and qualify components and circuits to determine corrective actions and causes of equipment failures.
• Repairs and/or replaces doors, electronics, signs, pantographs and HVAC systems.
• Installs components such as motors, generators, switches, relays, batteries and transformers.
• Performs approved electrical modifications and repairs or replaces components, as necessary.
• Troubleshoots equipment to determine corrective actions and causes of equipment failures.
• Maintains proper care and use of materials, test equipment, machines and personal hand tools normally associated with assigned job.
• Experience in electrical repairs, and testing advanced electrical/electronic systems and reading, drafting, and interpreting circuit diagrams, schematics and mechanical drawings.
• Experience in both A/C and D/C electrical systems.
• Must successfully complete training and attain/retain certifications applicable to assigned job.
• Knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems.
• Ability to troubleshoot using schematics and multimeters.
• Knowledge and skill in the use of electrical tools, equipment and the measurements necessary to meet established standards.
• Some computer skills.
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Experience in the maintenance of railroad equipment.
• Completion of technical school or apprenticeship program.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
• Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.