SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Responsible for inspection, testing and maintenance of wheels sets, brakes, brake pads, repairing suspension and pneumatic systems on rolling stock equipment and components in accordance with FRA and Amtrak standards and guidelines.
• Performs inspection, testing and maintenance in accordance with 49CFR regulations and Amtrak standards and guidelines
• Troubleshoots equipment to determine corrective actions and causes of equipment failures
• Repairs doors, windows, interior equipment, access panels, hand brakes, brake shoes, outside car body components, fire extinguishers, emergency tools and first aid kits
• Uses a variety of test equipment to diagnose malfunctions, troubleshoot and repair components and circuits
• Maintains proper care and use of materials, test equipment, machines and hand tools normally associated with assigned job
• May perform welding and burning
• Experience in troubleshooting, repair, replacement and rebuilding of mechanic equipment and systems.
• Must successfully complete training and attain/retain certifications applicable to assigned job.
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Completion of technical school or apprenticeship program.
• Experience in the maintenance of railroad equipment.
• Knowledge of mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems
• Ability to read mechanical drawings
• Knowledge and skill in the use of electronic tools, equipment and the measurements necessary to meet established standards
• Some computer skills