Healthcare Security Professional
Facility/Location: Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
The Healthcare Security Professional is responsible for providing protective services to the healthcare facility, patients, visitors, and staff in a courteous, friendly and professional manner.
General Scope of Work:
The primary responsibility is to prevent crime and provide order and control during the shift within the boundaries of the assigned post. In the event of the commission of a crime or disorder, this person is responsible for alerting higher authorities, responding to the incident and providing assistance as needed, protecting personnel and property, investigating and securing the incident scene until properly relieved. This position performs initial investigations for incidents dispatched and is responsible for completing all appropriate reports and forms.
Post Hours: As identified on the weekly schedule.
Uniform: As required by post. Refer to post orders for specific uniform requirements.
Reports To: Management or supervisor position responsible for the security professionals at the account.
- Education and Experience:
- Meet hiring qualifications
- Training Requirements: Must be able to successfully complete the following training courses prior to being assigned to a post. A * denotes annual requirements.
- Healthcare Essentials
- Healthcare Fundamentals
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) *
- Bloodborne Pathogen/Infection Control *
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) *
- Security Incident Response Procedures
- CPR/Basic First Aid (If conducting patient watches)
- De-escalation (If conducting patient watches) *
- Use of Force (If conducting patient watches) *
- Restraint Usage (If conducting patient watches) *
- Ability to handle typical and crisis situations efficiently and effectively.
- Health Screen Requirements: The following health screens must be completed prior to being assigned to a post. An * denotes annual requirements.
- Drug Screen
- Hepatitis B series vaccine or signed declination statement
- 2 Step TB test
- MMR, Varicella, and Tdap vaccinations
- Flu Shot *
- TB Screen *
- N-95 Fit Test *
- License and Credential Requirements:
- Ability to achieve and maintain all applicable licensing requirements
- Required Competencies: Security Professionals will be required to pass initial and annual competency evaluations consisting of the following topics:
- Bloodborne Pathogen/Infection Control
- Security Incident Response Procedures
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment and work independently.
- Ability to stand and/or walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory attendance and punctuality standards.
- Neat and professional appearance in accordance with set standards.
- Ability to provide quality customer service with a friendly and professional demeanor.
- Ability to make decisions and handle situations effectively.
- Know and adhere to the Employee Handbook.
- Know and adhere to the site's post orders, policies and procedures.
- Take charge of their post and protect personnel and property until properly relieved
- Report all incidents in accordance with policy and procedures and contact supervisor in any case not covered by policy.
- Sound the alarm in any case of disorder or emergency.
- Account for and safeguard all property issued for use.
- Know and adhere to policy on the use of personal electronic devices to include cellular telephones, tablets or any other personally owned electronic communication device.
Security Professional Quality Standards:
- Comes to work; is on time and completes shift assignments (including overtime, if assigned).
- Has a neat, professional appearance and comes to work in complete and clean assigned uniform.
- Has a friendly and professional demeanor and provides quality customer service.
- Is a good communicator (both verbal and written) and is capable of handling typical and crisis situations both efficiently and effectively.
- Understands and successfully executes his/her post orders including enforcement of client and company policies, rules and regulations.
Minimum Physical Requirements: This position requires physical dexterity, and sensory perceptions corrected to normal ranges.
- Moderate physical effort required, incumbent must maintain a level of physical and emotional health to cope with periods of high stress.
- Cognitive abilities must be unimpaired to deal with the intellectual demands of the position.
- Ability to use adaptive equipment, if necessary, where work requires close visual and auditory attention to detail.
- Movement around the building will be necessary to perform duties and respond to emergent situations and events.
Working Conditions: On a regular basis this position will be required to:
- Routinely change work areas on client property via foot or vehicle during all environmental conditions.
- Interact with patients, employees, visitors, physicians, and the general public during normal and emotionally charged situations.
- Work both independently and in team situations.
- Defuse potentially violent situations with verbal or physical skills.
- Assist in restraining patients in support of clinical needs.
- Work multiple tasks simultaneously when called to.
- Work with material which may be hazardous.
- Organize and prepare safety reports for client Administration and state/local governing agencies.
- Must have ability to cope well under emergency and stressful situations while making sound decisions and recommendations to physicians, nursing and professional staff relative to issues involving safety and security.
Unavoidable hazards of the position are the regular exposure to patients and visitors with potentially infectious diseases, blood and body fluids. Other hazards include the potential for exposure to smoke, hazardous chemicals, inclement weather and driving conditions, sharp instruments, verbal abuse, and physical violence.