The Communications Technician I must learn and possess the skills required to function as a contributing member of a technical team. Typically, the Technician I possess no experience to one (1) year of experience in the structured cabling industry.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Communications Technician I will install a work area outlet for floor (i.e. monument), modular furniture (i.e. surface mount box) and wall (i.e. box eliminator). Drop cable down a wall using fish tape or other method. Route cable through modular furniture. Perform pre-termination procedures: organize, form, dress cables and determine length, slack and label cables. Suspend and support cable correctly: Cable tray, J-hook, D-rings, Bridal rings, Trapeze.
- The Communications Technician I will build closets (Mount and install backboards, cross connects, racks, patch panels, fiber optic and hardware). Install grounding for racks, equipment and cable as required.
- The Communications Technician I performs fire-stopping procedures on fire walls, install sleeves, and pull cable through sleeves and core penetration.
- The Communications Technician I will terminate low-voltage devices.
- The Communications Technician I will fully complete all IES COMMERCIAL paperwork accurately and on time (timesheets, material transfers, work orders, change orders, tool transfers and others as required).
- The Communications Technician I adheres to and participate in all Company, customer and industry quality and safety standards and regulations.
- The Communications Technician I will complete other responsibilities as assigned.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The Communications Technician I must be able to work in an outdoor or indoor construction work environment.
- The Communications Technician I must be self-motivated, positive in approach, professional and help create, develop and implement project process improvement(s).
- The Communications Technician I must promote the Company culture and mission to all employees, vendors, clients and business partners.
- The Communications Technician I must possess proven problem solving and critical thinking skills and the ability to effectively read, write and give oral presentation(s).
- The Communications Technician I must have proven skill level or the ability to learn to interpret blueprints and other project documents, including but not limited to, specifications, reporting and quality requirements.
- The Communications Technician I must be able to work at heights, off of a ladder and in confined spaces, lift up to 50 pounds and move up to 75 pounds.
- The Communications Technician I must be able to see and distinguish different colors, read small print and hear and recognize audible signals such as dial tones.
- The Communications Technician I must be able to travel within the branch territory and/or regional territory as needed.
- Screwdriver (regular and Phillips), drywall saw, torpedo level, tape measure, snips (with belt sheath), pliers (needle nose and channel locks), hammer, wrench set, cable stripper, flashlight and gloves.
Education, Certification, License, and Skill Requirements:
- High School diploma or GED equivalency.
- Minimum of zero (0) to one (1) year experience in telecommunications or related technical field.
- Mechanical aptitude and willingness to learn.
- Basic construction industry knowledge preferred.
- Must possess and learn to effectively use the listed tools.
- Ability to meet Company minimum driving standards preferred.
- Communications Technician II