• You will operate engineering equipment (e.g., graders, tractors, front end loaders,
backhoes, trench diggers, large industrial tractors) in a safe and efficient manner.
• You will identify operational defects through daily inspections and preventative
maintenance of engineering equipment.
• You will follow written instructions, maintenance standards, manufacturer's
specifications, and standard operating procedures for safe and effective operation of
• You will use correct traveling speeds for equipment on different types of surfaces,
terrains, and roadways.
• You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
• Requires strenuous physical effort; constant bending, reaching, turning, and moving
hands/arms/feet/legs; considerable strain is caused by constant vibration; works
frequently in awkward or stained positions.
• Frequently lifts/carries moderately heavy objects; must walk/stand for prolonged
periods of time; frequently climbs platforms and other structures; incumbent must lift
loads weighing up to 40 pounds.
• Work is performed in all types of weather; subject to noise, vibration, dust, dirt,
fumes, and injury due to overturning; exposed to possibility of serious accidents; subject
to cuts, bruises, broken bones.
• Exposed to unpleasant noise, heat, cold, dirt, grease and fumes from vehicle and
equipment engines; personal protective equipment is required.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and
labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the
quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at
the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality
of experience, not necessarily the length of time. Your qualifications will be evaluated
on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job
This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility
for this job.
The Screen-out Element for this position is: Ability to do the work of an Engineering
Equipment Operator without more than normal supervision such as:
1) Operate one or more types of heavy equipment, such as front-end loader, backhoe,
bulldozer, to excavate, backfill, grade, compact, scarify, slope, spread, break and remove
pavement, cleans sand/dirt, and removes metal from streets and parking areas;
2) Utilize cranes or other heavy equipment to move loads of material safely and
3) Drive vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) over 26,000 pounds on public roads
at highway speeds.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations (X-118C). Additional
qualification information can be found at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/x118c/tabindx.asp.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience
and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities, to perform the duties of the specific
position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for
evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore,
we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience. When the
application process is complete, we will review your resume to ensure you meet the
hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement. You will be
rated based on the information provided in your resume along with your supporting
documentation to determine your ability to demonstrate the following job elements:
• ABILITY TO DO THE WORK OF THE POSITION WITHOUT MORE THAN NORMAL
• ABILITY TO DRIVE SAFELY (MOTOR VEHICLES)
• ABILITY TO INTERPRET INSTRUCTIONS, SPECIFICATIONS, ETC. (RELATED TO MOBILE
• OPERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
• WORK PRACTICES (INCLUDES KEEPING THINGS NEAT, CLEAN AND IN ORDER)
Jiro Yamamoto, Team D