State Active Duty (SAD)
Multiple Positions Available
Announcement Number: SAD VA 2020-049
Opening Date: 22 May 2020
Closing Date: 8 June 2020
Position Title: Assistant Squad Leader (SAD E-4)
Duty Location: Discovery Challenge Academy, Lathrop, CA
Selecting Official: Director, Discovery Challenge Academy
Projected Employment Date: 5 July 2020
Vacancy Announcement Details
The Military Department is accepting applications for the State Active Duty position indicated above. This vacancy announcement expires 8 June 2020 unless sooner rescinded. An appointment to this position provides full benefit status for the appointee and their beneficiaries. The incumbent will be appointed on annually renewable State Active Duty orders through year six, at which time the incumbent may be eligible for career status IAW CMD Reg 600-1, dated 21 April 2020. Continuation and subsequent extensions of service will be determined by the individual’s performance of duty and continuation of funding. The service member selected for this position will be paid at their federal or California State Guard pay grade, not to exceed E-4.
This announcement has minimum requirements. Failure to meet these requirements will cause your application to be rejected from consideration. While it is important for you to read the entire announcement closely, please pay particular attention to the instructions at the end of this announcement for documents required to submit a complete application. Applications missing signatures and required documents will not be considered.
The service member selected for this position may be eligible for health, dental, vision and life insurance benefits. Other benefits may also be available to those who qualify such as Service Member Assistance Programs, Group Legal Services, Long-Term Disability Insurance, Long-Term Care Insurance, Retirement Annuity, Supplemental Investment and the Military Service Buy Back Program. Reimbursement for moving and relocation expenses will not be paid.
Discovery Challenge Academy is a smoke-free environment; smoking is not authorized on duty or on Academy premises.
- Members of the active California National Guard or active members of the California State Guard (CSG) in the grades E-2 through E-5 may apply. Applicants must have a military affiliation per Para 3-2 of CMD Reg 600-1. Applicants who are not current members of the California National Guard or CSG may also apply, however, applicants must meet military affiliation requirements at the time of appointment. CSG members who have no prior federal military experience must be a member of the CSG for a minimum of two years. CSG members must submit a copy of their CSG orders with their application. Non-members of the California National Guard or CSG must submit a Letter of Intent to meet qualifying military affiliation at the time of appointment along with their application.
- Completion of military and civilian education requirements commensurate with the grade of the applicant are required. Attach documentation of your highest level of civilian education.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must have experience performing the duties of a military Squad Leader, or equivalent element, in the National Guard or on active duty.
- Must have experience in conducting unit-level training.
- Must have experience instructing Drill and Ceremonies as outlined in TC 3-21.5 or AFMAN 36-2203.
- Must be willing to work a flexible work schedule, to include nights and weekends, when Academy missions dictate.
- Applicant must meet, and maintain, federally recognized medical fitness standards. Attach a current copy, within the past twelve months, of your military component’s verification of these requirements. (See instructions at the end of this announcement for required component-specific documents.)
- Appropriate military uniform with federally recognized, or CSG recognized, rank will be worn in accordance with military regulation.
- Must be able to pass both State and Federal background checks (Live Scan) upon hire date. Continuation of employment is contingent upon maintaining favorable State and Federal background checks.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license. Attach a current copy, within the past six months, of your Department of Motor Vehicle’s printout.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant Squad Leader works under the supervision of the Squad Leader and Platoon Sergeant of Discovery Challenge Academy.
- Responsible for supervising unit-level training for DCA cadets.
- Assists in providing leadership, counseling, technical guidance and support to cadets in educational, vocational, physical training, mentoring, computer technology, job placement, community service and leadership programs.
- Provides professional support to peers and superiors in the accomplishments of assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Assists in conducting cadet inspections, coordinating garrison and field activities.
- Maintains a high level of physical training activities and other strenuous training activities.
- Is available for ESAD surge operations to assist State Personnel, Comptroller and the Joint Staff in response to State emergencies.
- Instructs and leads Platoon Drill and Ceremonies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Instructions for Submitting Applications
Interested applicants must submit a completed and signed State Active Duty Appointment Application and all required supporting documentation (listed below). Applications missing signatures and required documents will not be considered.
- All Applicants: Documentation of your highest level of civilian education listed on your application. (Legible copy of either diploma, degree, or transcripts).
- CA Army National Guard (CAARNG) Applicants: APFT (DA Form 705) and MEDPROS IMR, current within the past twelve months. (Due to the CA NG inability to conduct APFT qualification during the current COVID - 19 Restrictions, the 12 month APFT (DA Form 705) requirement has been extended to: Current within the past 18 months).
- CA Air National Guard (CA ANG) Applicants: ARCNet Individual Readiness Detail, current within the past twelve months. (Due to the CA NG inability to conduct APFT qualification during the current COVID -19 Restrictions, the 12 month ARCNET requirement has been extended to: Current within the past 18 months).
- CA State Guard (CSG) Applicants: Complete and submit the CA 3024-1 Member AHA Form. Once appointed, each CSG service member will be required to complete and submit, in its entirety, additional SAD Medical Readiness Standards requirements, not to exceed beyond one year after hire date.
- All Applicants: DMV Printout current within the past six months. California residents may obtain, at cost, a copy of their DMV printout. Unit DMV reports are not accepted.
- CSG Applicants: CSG Orders – CSG Applicants only
- Deployed Service Members: Title 10 OCONUS Orders - Currently deployed service members only