The Department of Public Works (DPW) of the County of San Diego is seeking applications and résumés from qualified individuals for Airports Director (LUEG Program Manager). The selected candidate will provide executive level leadership and oversight of eight (8) County airports. The selected candidate will also provide briefings and presentations to representatives of the County Board of Supervisors, Chief Administrative Officer, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, and executives of outside agencies and private entities; provide direct supervision over Airport Managers; and perform grant administration duties.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will possess a professional history that demonstrates the following leadership competencies and attributes:
• Proven experience with an airport (general aviation, commercial aviation, or military airport or airbase) in providing executive level management and oversight over all major airport operations
• Management or supervisory experience over at least five to ten operational managers and supervisors within an airport
• Strong knowledge and experience in FAA regulations and related laws, codes, and ordinances
• Thorough knowledge of FAA grant administration and management
• Knowledge of general budget and financial management concepts, such as full cost recovery processes
• Knowledge of concepts, principles, and practices of policy and procedure development and implementation
• Ability to represent DPW and the County at the local, state and national level collaborating with representatives from various agencies demonstrating organizational and political awareness of sensitive issues
• Ability to stimulate and actively initiate change in the organization while carefully considering implications and impact of decisions across time and on others
• Ability to build, lead, and motivate high-performance teams to be accountable; support multiple, concurrent, and complex projects; and reach challenging goals
In addition, it is highly desirable for the ideal candidate to possess a valid pilot’s license and an AAAE Certification.
To operate and maintain, safely, efficiently, and cost effectively, the eight County airports, airstrips, and airpark, as part of the National Air Transportation System, in conformance with Federal, State, and local rules, regulations, and ordinances, and without cost to the County General Fund.
The County of San Diego Department of Public Works (DPW) serves the unincorporated county by maintaining roads, sidewalks, and bridges; providing wastewater and other environmental management services; keeping road drainage systems and flood control channels clear; operating traffic signals and streetlights; managing eight airports; maintaining closed landfills and burn sites, and inspecting private developer construction sites and permits work performed in the county’s right-of-way.
The County’s Airports is assigned to the Transportation Division of DPW. The County operates the following eight airports:
• Aqua Caliente
• Borrego Valley
• Fallbrook Airpark
• Gillespie Field
• Jacumba Airport
• McClelland-Palomar Airport
• Ocotillo Airport
• Ramona Airport
Applicants must possess the following:
A bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university or certified foreign studies equivalency AND five years of experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the classification which must include at least two years (2) of management or supervision; OR a combination of experience and/or education as stated above.
Notes: A master's degree or higher degree may substitute for a total of one year of experience and cannot be applied to the required one year of supervision. Qualifying experience will include CAO Staff Officer or Project Manager experience that involves leading projects.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The anticipated hiring range is $125,000 – $135,000 annually.
• Fifteen days of paid vacation, thirteen days of paid sick leave, and thirteen paid holidays
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
• Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, and Accidental Death/Dismemberment Insurance
• Flexible Management Benefit Package – a monthly credit may be used to select benefits from a group of options
• Defined benefit retirement program
• Reciprocity with other governmental retirement systems may be granted; for further information, visit the website for the San Diego County Employees Retirement System
• Deferred Compensation Program 457 and 401(a) plans
• May be eligible for relocation allowance up to $10,000
VSC: Jiro Yamamoto