Attention Military Veterans!
Now Hiring: Police Recruit Officer
The San Jose Police Department (SJPD) employs over 900 police officers and offers over 50 specialized assignments. Military Veterans with an honorable discharge can utilize their military experience in units such as Patrol, M.E.R.G.E. (SWAT), Canines, Police Range, Training, Tactical Negotiations, and Air Support.
The SJPD offers several incentives for qualified Military Veterans during the testing process:
Ø Military Veterans with an honorable discharge can substitute four (4) years of service in the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard in lieu of the minimum college credit requirement
Ø “All-in-One” weekend testing for out-of-state and out-of-area applicants
Ø Five (5) Veteran Preference Test Points applied to the oral board exam (upon receiving a passing score of 70% or higher)
Qualified Military Veterans also receive the following benefits:
Ø Eligible for G.I. benefits compensation while in the Police Academy
Ø Eligible for G.I. benefits compensation while in the Field Training Program
Ø Flex-time for military leave
Police Recruit Application/Selection Process
ANNUAL BASE PAY RANGE FOR POLICE OFFICER: $98,051 to $152,415*
Step 1: Submit an Application:
Step 2: Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ):
- The Personal History Questionnaire consists of approximately 180 questions, which allow an applicant to self-report behavior(s) that have been determined to be related directly to job suitability. The PHQ is designed to identify applicants who do not meet the minimum standards to become a Police Recruit; saving the ineligible applicant considerable time and effort involved in the testing process. PHQ results are valid for one year.
Step 3: Written and Physical Agility Exams:
- Candidates must pass ONE of the below written examinations:
- PELLETB: Complete the California P.O.S.T. Reading & Writing Test (PELLETB). Pass Point is a T-Score total of 50 or higher. (Results valid for three years.) For more information or to register go to: http://www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests
- National Testing Network (NTN):: Complete the National Testing Network Test (NTN). Pass Point scores are 65% Video, 70% Reading, and 70% Writing. (Results valid for three years). For more information or to register go to:
- Complete the California P.O.S.T. Physical Agility Test (WSTB). Pass Point is a score of 320 or higher. Also included in the Physical Agility Test is a 1.5 mile run, which must be completed in 14 minutes or less. (Results valid for one year.)
Step 4: Oral Board Interview:
- This is a panel interview. Candidates will be asked five to eight questions, not necessarily police-related. Pass Point is 70% or higher. (Results are valid for three years). Candidates who successfully complete all portions of the testing process will be placed on a list of eligible candidates for the Background Investigation process.
Step 5: Background Investigation:
- Candidates will complete a pre-background assessment
- Eligible candidates will complete a Personal History Statement (PHS) packet. Background investigators will then be assigned to assist candidates through the process. Upon successful completion and review of the background investigation, the hiring board will make their employment selections. Those selected will receive a conditional offer of employment, contingent upon successfully passing a medical and psychological exam.
Step 6: San Jose Police Academy**:
- The Academy is a 28-week program; Police Recruits are considered a City of San Jose employee and will earn $40.47 an hour while attending the Academy. Upon graduation, eligible candidates will enter the Field Training Program (FTO) for additional training as a SJPD officer on the street. Those who successfully complete the FTO program are assigned to the Patrol Division as a solo beat officer.
**Not a “live-in” Academy