Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Outreach/Intake Specialist will be responsible for identifying, engaging, and screening Veteran families who are homeless are at imminent risk for homelessness in San Diego County. The Outreach/Intake Specialist will work in the field to target individuals/families in need of housing and supportive services by scouting locations where homeless and/or very low-income individuals/families frequent, participating in homeless provider events in the community, and hosting informational events. The Intake/Outreach Specialist will be responsible for establishing and maintaining collaborative partnerships with local homeless providers, the local Continuum of Care, and the local VA in efforts to locate and engage clients.
- Provides Outreach services throughout San Diego County to identify and engage Veteran families who are most in-need and hard to reach.
- Scouts local areas that homeless individuals/families frequent.
- Provides Outreach services to social service providers and other community organizations who serve homeless individuals and families.
- Educates homeless service providers on program criteria, build and maintain these relationships, and provide additional support as needed.
- Uses a time-sensitive approach to determine eligibility of potential veteran participants.
- Immediately refers all eligible participants to appropriate team member.
- Immediately refers ineligible participants to appropriate community resources including service providers that offer VA Grant & Per Diem program and HUD-VASH.
- Conducts home visits, escorts, and other related activities to engage families at-risk for homelessness.
- Coordinates with local Continuum of Care and VA Homeless Coordinator to identify areas of need and additional resources.
- Educates homeless providers and the general community about the SSVF program through informational events.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of community resources including but not limited to Veteran-based agencies, homeless programs, and housing programs.
- Creates and disseminates program flyers and handouts.
- Develops and maintains Resource guide Book.
- Establishes and maintains ongoing relationships with community service providers.
- Works closely with VA representatives.
- Meets regularly with SSVF program team to coordinate services and ensure continuum of care.
- Maintains a well-organized and clean work environment
- Assists with planning program events and activities that inform Veterans, Volunteers of America staff, and Community Groups about program services.
- Compiles and maintains supporting documentation including case notes, internal and external reports and other identified items.
- Maintains strict confidentiality at all times in communications.
- Maintains a professional plan for self and direct reports.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Applications are only accepted online. This employer participates in e-Verify.