Quinn Company is seeking a Family Office Controller to oversee all operations of a three-person family office located in City of Industry. Must be a creative and effective problem solver with impeccable judgment, excellent interpersonal skills, a high sense of urgency, and unquestioned confidentiality. Successful candidate will manage the financial and legal affairs of business owner’s personal family business, including property management, insurance, taxes, investment portfolio, estate planning, family trusts, and separate business enterprises.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Manage family business entities - Manage all financial and legal affairs for several family owned businesses. Day-to-day accounts payable review and approval, financial statement preparation, secure insurance, income tax and payroll tax return preparation, process payroll, conduct human resource services, generate billings, perform property management services, etc. for the following businesses:
o Real Estate partnership
o Agricultural entity
o Transportation company
• Supervision – Supervise and direct an Accountant and an Administrative Assistant who will work closely with the Family Office Controller and family members to complete various administrative tasks related to the family office operations.
• Financial reporting - Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements/reports for the family. Includes personal assets/operations as well as various business entities. Prior knowledge of Quicken and QuickBooks, as well as a thorough understanding of Excel, is required.
• Income Taxes - Preparation and submission of supporting documentation allowing outside accounting firm to prepare the more complex returns. The less complex returns will be prepared by the Family Office Controller and reviewed by the outside accounting firm. Ensure that the returns, and estimated payments, are filed both timely and accurately. Make recommendations to family to minimize income tax liability.
• Investments – Family investments are managed by outside Investment Management firms. The Family Office Controller must have knowledge of the family investments and will manage the relationships with the Investment Managers, review investment reports from Investment Managers, summarize the reports for the family and provide input, when requested, on decisions related to investments.
• Estate Planning - Have detailed knowledge of family estate planning activities. Experience with estate planning and annual gifting is preferred. Facilitate regularly scheduled estate planning meetings with team of outside attorneys and in-house advisors that comprise the Estate Planning Team. Preparation of meeting agendas, materials, and minutes and follow up with financial analysis when required. Ensure that trusts’ operations are in compliance with trust documents and legal requirements. Ensure that gifting activities are performed timely and in accordance with legal requirements, including valuation of company stock and preparation of Gift Tax Returns.
• Property, Casualty, Auto and Other Insurance - Responsible for securing appropriate insurance coverage for family members and family business entities.
• Property Management - Perform property management activities for real estate (both family and business owned) and personal property.
• Special projects - Assist family members and Senior Management Team Members with various special projects as required.
Manages Family Office Department employees. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include staffing the department with appropriately skilled employees; interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Requirements||EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree and five years directly related experience; extended broad based business background. Professional certification preferred, may include CPA, CFA and CFP. Should have demonstrated experience with accounting, financial management, financial analysis, insurance and legal matters. Successful candidate will need to show a track record of honesty, integrity, confidentiality and tact.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be very proficient in the use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Quicken, and Quick Books.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, generally in an office environment with climate control, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This description describes only the general nature and level of work encompassed by this job. This description is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of employees at this level.
Quinn is an Equal Opportunity Employer M /F / V / DV
Quinn Group, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, all applicable veteran status or disabled veteran status. Quinn Group, Inc. has established an Affirmative Action Plan to promote the employment and advancement of members of those covered groups identified by statute and regulations, including minorities, women, qualified disabled individuals and all Veterans and disabled Veterans.