At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region's infrastructure for generations to come.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America's best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry's most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region's largest employers, we're always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best.
Support Senior Sustainability Manager, Director of Environmental Services, VP of Clean Transportation, Sustainability & Environmental as well as business units throughout the organization by developing and implementing a Company-wide long-term environmental, social and governance (ES&G) sustainability program. Establish sustainability-based objectives and goals that support Company long-term strategic sustainability vision, help manage towards those objectives and goals and deliver best-in-class ES&G sustainability results for SDG&E on a continuing basis. Help lead the Environmental Sustainability team in producing sustainability-based data, program initiatives, industry best-practices, and analyses of other relevant information that provides strategic guidance to Director and Executive Sustainability Committees for business management decisions supportive of established long-term sustainability goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- 30% - Provide expert leadership for SDG&E environmental, social and governance (ES&G) sustainability program. Help lead development and preparation of enterprise-wide long-term sustainability plan that outlines aggressive sustainability goals, and identifies key milestones, strategies, metrics and processes to achieve the stated goals. Help manage the sustainability program according to this plan and lead ongoing policy, regulatory, technical, financial and reporting aspects of the program, providing the SDG&E leadership team with strategic guidance to ensure successful implementation of the long-term plan.
- 20% - Directly support the Senior Sustainability Manager, the Chief Environmental Officer, the SDG&E Executive Sustainability Council and the Director/Manager Sustainability Committee and help ensure that Company policies, projects, operations, initiatives and programs include appropriate sustainability-based goals and objectives. Develop and maintain a professional network that supports this leadership role and contributes to information sharing and collaboration. Be an expert resource for all internal and third-party programs administered by SDG&E that contribute towards ES&G goals.
- 15% - Work collaboratively with management and staff in Community Relations, Marketing, Media and Communications, Regional Public Affairs, Human Resources, Safety, Supply Management and other business units to position and maintain the Company as a sustainability leader. Help provide high-quality, consistent, and effective sustainability messaging for all internal business units, and help position the Company as a long-term partner to non-government organizations (NGOs), municipal governments, federal, state and local agencies, public and private companies and other stakeholders to ensure SDG&E's sustainability reputation is well messaged and intrinsic in our brand.
- 10% - Support the Sempra sustainability team with their annual Corporate Sustainability Reporting (CSR) program and ensure that the SDG&E sustainability program is aligned with and supportive of Sempra's long-term sustainability goals. Provide key insights, technical data, strategic messaging and overall ES&G compliance metrics and associated context to Sempra's team to inform their program.
- 10% - Lead strategic research on sustainability-based ES&G trends, management practices, technologies, resources and practical applications within the energy industry. Design and implement programs that maximize broad internal business unit participation in sustainability practices. Identify key licenses, certifications, competitive industry awards or other external opportunities to increase visibility of SDG&Es sustainability practices and/or lead to beneficial outcomes on domestic and international sustainability indexes.
- 10% - Chair/manage the SDG&E Green Team. Develop effective meeting content, events and strategies to ensure maximum participation levels from all business units. Identify and schedule outside speakers and information contributors. Lead selection, planning and execution of key annual events, and provide overall guidance to the team to ensure that Company sustainability objectives are achieved.
- 5% - Perform other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor's Degree Environmental studies, economics, sustainability, or related field or equivalent training and/or experience is required.
- 5 years - Extensive knowledge of sustainability-based policy, business practices, planning and program administration. Working knowledge of environmental legal, regulatory and policy frameworks in California. Familiarity with data management (quality assurance and control) and reporting programs is required.
- 2 years - Experience with data modeling and/or data analytics. Direct experience implementing sustainability programs to meet regulatory compliance goals in the energy sector is preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to motivate and persuade others. Advanced
- General knowledge of climate science, climate data and/or sustainability metrics. Advanced
- General knowledge of state and local climate-based initiatives including climate action planning. Advanced
- Good organizational abilities, accuracy and attention to detail. Advanced
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentations. Advanced
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to successfully interface with many different types of people. Advanced
Licenses and Certifications
- Sustainability Professional Certification (Associate or Professional) through the International Society of Sustainability Professionals, or comparable certification program is preferred
- Interest in and commitment to partner with non-profit and charitable organizations that advance regional sustainability initiatives in the SDG&E Service Territory.
- Infrequent travel may be required within the SDG&E Service Territory (typically less than 5% of the time). Valid Class C drivers license with a clean driving record is required to use Company vehicles available for these trips. May need to infrequently attend meetings at Sempra headquarters or other facilities in the SDG&E Service Territory.
- Attendance at sustainability-focused technical conferences inside or outside of California may be required annually, one or two times per year.
- May need to occasionally attend sustainability-based Company-sponsored events outside of typical business hours (e.g., evenings or weekends).
Area of Interest
Posting End Date
Jul 28, 2020