At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region's infrastructure for generations to come.
This is a Sr Software Debeloper/GIS Deverloper who is an individual contributors to the development, maintenance, and enhancement of business applications, providing specialized technical or business knowledge to the project. In this position you are assigned to projects within the Information Technology department and utilize a variety of new computing architectures (e.g., SaaS, Citrix, Web). Under the guidance of the Team Lead, they collaborate with business team staff, IT colleagues, and other stakeholders to define detained customer requirements and system interfaces, assess available technologies, and develop and present solutions. Incumbents act as internal consultants, providing technical guidance or business process expertise on the most complex projects or researching strategic planning matters from a technical or business standpoint.
Individuals in this job position are competent to perform or integrate work at a high level within this job family, working at an in-depth level within a technical or business area. While they do not normally have regular project leadership responsibility, incumbents are familiar with project management techniques and may lead projects or subprojects. They have good coaching skills.
A key role for Senior Software Developer's is to identify causes and implement solutions to business problems in a multifunctional project, assessing and communicating issues of technology impact on the business. They also apply a broad knowledge of various technical functions to accurately anticipate organizational impacts. Incumbents must understand the procedures and expected system performance associated with the introduction of new information technologies, while seeking ways to collaborate with other IT members (the Technology/Business Consultant Group, in particular) to facilitate transitions. They share responsibility with other team members to ensure on-time product delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise within an assigned business unit/area, usually as a member of a project team, in analysis, design, and development of business applications.
- Provide technical consulting support on projects or system issues.
- Develop business knowledge and relationships to integrate activities with other IT departments to ensure successful implementation and support of project efforts.
- Once application goes live, provide production supports such as monitoring/resolving incidents, participating/coordinating Service Restoration (SRT), Root Cause Analysis (RCA), and disaster Recovery (DR).
- Monitor, conduct performance tuning, and enhance the applications. Participate/coordinate change management (CO) for application fixes and enhancements.
- Lead small projects or regularly coach other personnel to ensure business application systems are developed in a way that complies with architectural standards and established methodologies and practices.
- Evaluate application software packages and make recommendations to management.
- Participate with other IT members, customers, and other stakeholders in new product reviews, tests, and pilots.
- Collect and analyze business requirements for projects.
- Perform feasibility studies and translate requirements into an appropriate design.
- Identify conflicting business practices and integration issues and suggest alternative solutions.
- Monitor and report to management on the status of project efforts, anticipating and identifying issues that inhibit the attainment of project goals and implementing corrective actions.
- Foster and maintain good relationships with customers and IT colleagues to expected customer service levels.
- Perform other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Requires a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or related discipline (i.e. Geographical Information System), or equivalent work experience and technical training.
- 5 years of senior level experience in business application design, development, installation, and modification in an online environment.
- Experience with structured design, development, and implementation of new computing architectures.
- Experience with developing/implementing following on ESRI ArcGIS platforms is highly preferred.
- Mobile GIS field applications (Windows and IOS devices) using ArcGIS Runtime SDK
- ArcGIS desktop applications using .NET framework.
- Utilities experience is highly preferred.
- Experience in the industry or in a production/service environment similar to that of the employer.
- Experience with JSON, XML, Web services, ArcGIS API, ArcGIS runtime SDK, and Python script.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Conceptual knowledge of information technologies and methodologies in distributed computing environments desirable.
- Knowledge of project management techniques is required (cross-functional experience is highly desirable)
- Strong technical knowledge, with hands-on experience managing systems development in new computing architectures and environments (e.g., client/server, Web, cloud computing, mobile); knowledge of relevant technology, tools, and middleware is critical, including C/C++, 4GLs, OLE/MS Office, Windows, ODBC, GUIs, RPCs, various RDBMSs, and others.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, with an ability to express complex technical concepts in business terms.
- Working knowledge of DevOps tools and practices.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
- Strong project management skills, operating as part of a team organizing, planning, and executing projects from the envisioning stage through implementation.
- Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to work well on cross-functional project teams and foster team commitment to tasks.
Area of Interest
Posting End Date
Jul 31, 2020