As part of the Civil/Structural Engineering Transmission and Distribution Team, the Senior Engineer prepares structural engineering designs, specifications, standards, studies, cost estimates and sound technical recommendations, in support of projects and tasks within the department or other departments, and is responsible for engineering solutions to solve problems for new facilities and repairs/modifications to existing facilities related to the SDG&E electric transmission/distribution system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and coordinates engineering and economic feasibility studies and cost analyses related to the design, construction and permitting of electric facilities.
- Provides leadership and direction to engineers, designers, planners, analysts and field personnel.
- Provides technical expertise to one or multiple project teams for the evaluation of, and resolution to, engineering problems and designs involving various engineering disciplines.
- Gathers data, performs calculations and prepares designs to develop technically sound conclusions, recommendations and results.
- Follows up on implementation of recommendations and/or acceptance of conclusions to assess accuracy and/or completeness. Evaluates job requests to determine purpose, scope and requirements. May include the assessment of alternative methods, assessment of outside support requirements, and review of Company, City, State, and Regulatory Agency Codes.
- Manages specific capital projects to ensure that they are built to standards, on time, and within budget. Conducts safety and reliability related incident investigations. Manages and coordinates all activities leading to the successful completion of tasks and small projects including, scoping of project, selection of consultants and/or contractors, cost estimates, budgeting, permitting, design, construction support, material procurement and start-up.
- Provides direction to contractors, consultants, Company engineers, technical specialists and the remainder of the project team. Utilizes departmental project control systems to maintain budget and schedule and provide timely status reports to the client.
- Interprets state and federal codes, industry standards and Company specifications for clients. Participates in, and provides technical input to, review of proposed changes in regulatory requirements affecting codes and standards. Recommends modifications to Company policy and procedures that reflect regulatory changes.
- Develops Company standards, specifications and procedures governing selection, design, application and operation of materials, components and systems which meet Company needs on a long term basis and with optimum economic considerations.
- Stays abreast of the latest changes, trends and technological advancements in the industry through attendance at conferences and seminars, continuing education, literature, etc. Maintains familiarity with Company operations to effectively support internal client requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Normally works in an office area; however, project assignments may involve extensive field work over an extended period of time.
- Bachelor's degree in civil or structural engineering is required.
- An advanced degree in civil engineering, with an emphasis in structural engineering is desirable.
- Registration as a professional civil engineer in the state of California is required. Registration with an out-of-state license is acceptable if it is reciprocal to California and if a full California professional civil engineering license can be granted within 1 ½ years of position appointment.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of increasingly challenging civil/structural engineering design experience, with 3 years focused in transmission or distribution design preferred.
- A background in civil/structural design is mandatory. Steel, concrete, and masonry design experience and construction management experience are highly desirable. Familiarity with various foundation types, including pads, drilled piers, and micropiles is preferred.
- ACAD, PLS-CADD, and MFAD experience is preferred.
Area of Interest
Posting End Date
Jul 24, 2020