At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region's infrastructure for generations to come.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America's best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry's most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region's largest employers, we're always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best.
The Principal Solutions Architect will report to the VP -- Information Technology, focusing on how technology systems will be implemented to support the business objectives of SDGE. This role will interface with the organization's most senior executives to understand business vison, strategy and needs. Using these requirements this role will provide the leadership for the planning, designing, developing, and implementing technology solutions and the overall architecture framework across IT.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Technical Leadership: Builds strong relationships with business clients to understand demands and ensures achitecure roadmap and strategy continually adapts to meet needs. Develops, maintains, and implements roadmap of architecture lifecycle across the IT Organization. This includes current and future standards and concrete actions towards achiving future state. Provides technical leadership to the business and technology organization as it relates to product decisions, integration patterns and implantation approaches, cost estimation, and quality to ensure leadership can make effective decisions and plan technology budgets effectively. Provides guidance to the organization's solution architects on the approach to system design and testing of technology solutions.
- Oversees and Executes on Architecture Implementation: Directs specific modification and configurations of technology products to optimize the development and operations of technology systems. Supports the planning of migration and system retirement as new systems are being designed and implemented. Approves, applies and contributes to technical reference architectures which will be used as building blocks for company systems. Supports the authoring, design and delivery of system designs, changes and support models to ensure technology systems achieve the expected level of benefit.
- Consults and Advises on Techincal and Industry Trends: Understands and communicates technology trends and emerging technologies to business and IT stakeholder to ensure the organization understands potential solutions to current and emerging business challenges. Develops and delivers technical presentations to business and IT stakeholders to ensure they understand the options, value and trade-offs during solution design.
- Architecture Governance: Provides broad architecture guidance to assist in establishing, executing and maintaining technology governance. Supports the documentation of the system requirements, testing and acceptance criteria that will be included in requests for proposals that will be provided to suppliers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, engineering, systems analysis, or a related study, or equivalent experience is required.
- 12-15 years - experience in system design and implementation is required.
- Architecture level experience in at least 2 IT disciplines including, but not limited to software development, technical architecture, system design, infrastructure, testing and IT operations is required.
- Knowledge of all components of an enterprise architecture with deep technical specialty in one or more of the following architecture domains: Business, Data, Technology or Application.
- Knowledge of business re-engineering principles and processes.
- Strong understanding of system integration.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Excellent structured analytical skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including facilitation, negotiation, and collaboration.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Strong proven leadership skills.
- Experience in Power and Utility or other regulated industry preferred.
Area of Interest