About San Diego Gas & Electric
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region's infrastructure for generations to come.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America's best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry's most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region's largest employers, we're always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best.
Manages overall strategy, resources and execution of technical training delivery for the Electric Meter Operations (EMO) within the Customer Field Operations division. Leads a small team of training instructors responsible for providing technical training and subject matter expertise to EMO field resources. Ensures effective training delivery and execution of all EMO electric metering training programs for both instrument-rated and self-contained rated services for secondary (<600V) and primary (>600V) voltage levels. EMO training programs focus on, but are not limited to, the following areas: install, test, wire, change, remove, read, configure, and troubleshoot. Collaborates with EMO Field Operations, Electric Meter Engineering (EME), and other internal and external organizations as a SME on all topics related to Electric metering.
Duties and Responsibilities
- 70% - Provide operational supervision and oversight for all technical training around electric metering. Provide leadership, oversight and development for EMO training programs. EMO training programs generally fall into the following three areas: EMO Electric Meter Tester (EMT) apprenticeship programs in accordance with Joint Apprentice Committee (JAC) and corporate guidelines; EMO high-voltage (>600V) training program for Electric Meter Test Electrician (EMTE) job classification; annual refresher training programs and ensures EMO employees complete mandated training. Responsible for the implementation, design, development and execution of the training modules associated with the areas listed above. Provides guidance to ensure that safety regulations and metering standards are followed at EMO training facility. Responsible for holding trainers accountable for enforcing safety, illness and injury policies and rules, and investigating occurrences and executing discipline, as appropriate. Responsible for communicating Safety goals and vision to field resources and training team. Manage training quality and provide oversight for instructional delivery (conduct post assessments as needed to determine and fill skills gaps to improve quality of training). Ensure direct reports have continuous improvement and career development opportunities. In accordance with the Joint Apprentice Committee (JAC), oversees and coordinates State Approved Apprentice Programs (Meter Tester), ensuring all requirements are met. Acts as liaison between district apprentice coordinators and Joint Apprenticeship Committee. Provides reports to district leadership and to the JAC for each electric meter tester apprentice. Monitors apprentice progress and facilitates resolution of issues.
- 20% - Ensure training standards are adhered to and are consistent across the EMO organization. Review and update Electric Meter Testing & Standards manual on a regular interval to ensure safe, effective and efficient work methods are reviewed and updated on a consistent basis. Responsible for maintaining EMO training and standards manuals, drafting policies and work methods as regulations change, reviewing and implementing training for newly developed standards, and ensuring all mandatory and refresher training courses are completed and documented for EMO employees. Provides strategic direction recommendations on development and training initiatives to improve organizational effectiveness and the quality of customer interactions that result in higher levels of customer satisfaction.
- 5% - Provide metering expertise for operational issues/activities. Acts as a subject matter expert to advise field operations on changes to policy and standards to ensure safe work practices. Partners with Electric Meter Engineering, Electric Distribution Engineering, and Safety on the procurement and testing of new materials and equipment, as well as, subsequent training. Provides support for near miss investigations and participates on incident review teams. Provides real-time support for complex field operations, both routine and trouble, acting as subject matter expert for field operations and equipment.
- 5% - Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- H.S. Diploma/GED or equivalent required. Required
- Bachelor's Degree Preferred
- 10 years - Relevant experience, including construction and maintenance experience and advanced knowledge of safety standards, electric standard practices, construction standards, and electric operating procedures. Experience is normally obtained through extensive field experience in positions such as a Journeyman Electric Meter Tester, Meter Test Electrician, or Electric Meter Supervisor. Required
Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of secondary metering equipment and characteristics of service equipment rated at voltages below 600V.
- Extensive knowledge of primary metering equipment and characteristics of service equipment rated at voltages above 600V.
- Must have a thorough understanding and familiarity of electrical distribution systems above 600V and associated operating characteristics
- Requires an understanding of various training methods and the ability to adapt training styles to fit different learners.
- Demonstrates the ability to evaluate course materials and program results for continuous training improvement.
- Requires experience leading training and development of apprentices and journeymen-level employees related to electric meter testing, meter test and construction standards, and electric distribution systems.
- Must have a thorough understanding of electric metering safety requirements and safe work practices and be committed to teach to those requirements.
- Must demonstrate a strong sense of urgency and take personal ownership for resolving unsafe conditions and behaviors or other roadblocks to Safety. An excellent safety record is required.
- Must demonstrate ability to communicate technical information in a clear, concise manner. Excellent oral and written communications skills are required.
- Demonstrates ability in decision making, prioritizing teaching / training activities, coordination of training activities, scheduling and multi-tasking in an adult learning environment.
- Understands regulatory and environmental sensitivities and constraints.
- Must be proficient in computer applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, CICS, GIS, My Time, CPD, NMS, etc.)
- Knowledge and training in MARC - Manager's Guide to Labor Relations/Union highly desirable.
Competitive Benefits Package:
- Competitive salaries
- Performance Incentives
- Cash balance pension program
- 401k with employer match
- Affordable healthcare, dental and vision
- Generous vacation and flex days
- Employee Giving Programs including charitable donations, volunteer incentive program, and scholarship programs
- Substantial educational reimbursement
- Sempra University for professional development
- Backup daycare for children and elderly family members
- Passport card for significant discounts at local restaurants and entertainment venues
- On site cafes, walking trail, gym, yoga, chair massages